Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reflections on Rudy's Journey

Since writing my last post I have been thinking about the concept of "horse as patient" and "human as therapist". This led me to realize that my last post may have had a feel of me, the human, as expert who knows what the horse needs to heal. This reflects an attitude that is ingrained into you as a medical student- doctor as expert on what ails the patient and how to treat it. Apparently, that way of seeing things still lurks within me despite being out of conventional medicine for some time now. In reflecting upon my relationship with the horses, this is not at all how I want to approach helping them along their healing journeys. In the same way that Imke would not claim that she is the "trainer" and the horse is the "student", I definitely do not want to be the "therapist" and the horse the "patient".

What I'm seeking is a way to help horses heal from their trauma. During this process, I need to trust that the horse will guide me in how to best help him. If I think I am the expert on what he needs I will not be open to his ideas. What I noticed with Rudy was that when he did engage with the ball he seemed to almost attack it and would get very worked up. The energy I felt from him was anger. This gave me the idea that perhaps a way to approach his pushing and biting people would be to suggest he redirect this energy toward the ball. I would not view "beating up the ball" as a therapeutic "technique" per se, but rather an outlet that Rudy seemed naturally drawn to. I have never really seen him play with the ball spontaneously, so that's where I thought the suggestion on my part might help facilitate some release. My sense is that what is most helpful for overcoming the lasting effects of trauma for a given horse will be very individual. Bell, for example, seems to just want space and time. She seems to be "grumpy" the last few weeks, which is out of character for her. Now is that because her skin condition on her legs is irritating her, someone in the herd is pestering her, something else is bothering her or repressed anger is coming up? The truth is I don't know. I definitely need to address any health or environmental issues that could be contributing. When I ask Bell how I can best support her otherwise the answer I get is to just let her be for now. Rudy, on the other hand, always approaches me in the pasture and follows me around. He wants my company, but behaves in a manner that pushes me away, both literally and figuratively. He seems somewhat conflicted, which is why I felt redirecting his behaviour might be helpful for him.

So, ultimately, I don't see myself as a "therapist" for the horse anymore than Imke sees herself as a "trainer". Rather, I hope to help support the horse's healing process in whatever way the horse indicates might be helpful. Like Imke's work there is no way that this could develop into a "Healing Method" because it has to occur on an intuitive level and be focused on the individual horse.

Why do I feel that horses who have been "mistreated" may need to express repressed feelings? I am basing this on my intuitive sense, basic trauma theory and my own experiences along my healing path. I think the one emotion that causes the most suffering in humans, and as a result all life forms on this planet, is anger that is sitting just beneath the surface waiting for a place to happen. For many this anger results from a lifetime of hurts and injustices that have not been worked through, thereby preventing release and healing. How do we heal the anger in our own hearts and facilitate other's healing journeys? That is what I am exploring.

I'd be curious to know how Imke approaches anger that comes up in the horses. Other than leaving the arena when Passaro became dangerous, what things helped him heal that anger? Obviously, a good starting point is seeing him as an individual with a unique way of perceiving and interacting with the world, which I think Imke did an amazing job of.

Really, facilitating the healing path of a horse does not differ from facilitating how a horse moves. If we go in without any preconceived ideas of what the horse "needs", but rather remain open to what unfolds and where the horse guides us, then we are in the best position to be helpful to that individual horse. As Imke does with movement, I think putting forth suggestions to the horse can be potentially helpful. Of course, if the horse says "No" to our suggestion we must honour that.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this subject.

5 comments:

  1. "I'd be curious to know how Imke approaches anger that comes up in the horses. Other than leaving the arena when Passaro became dangerous, what things helped him heal that anger?"

    Hello, Sandie!

    It might be helpful for your to reread Imke's experiences with Max. Begin on page 135.

    Remember, you offer love for this being and friendship for this individual first and foremost.

    Your obvious skills as a therapist are something many horses will appreciate, though I don't think everything that has been beneficial to humans is applicable to horses...the seat of trauma is maybe imprisoned a little differently for horses.

    Herein likes the brilliance of EMPOWERED HORSES' subtitle, "Learning THEIR way through independence, self-confidence, and creative play."

    Myself, I'd try not to focus too much on what manner of repressed trauma might be the root cause of problems with horses (we can never FULLY know what a horse has experienced that comes to us with ingrained issues)...but I do feel that once horses know we are truly desiring them to be all that they can be for themselves (not just so they can better serve humans) and that we believe they must heal themselves and sometimes we can support/direct such healing based on what capacity they show us they desire from us.

    It's so much like a river...stepping in and trying to go with each other, in this case following the horse as supportively as possible.

    And what if Rudy simply discovered he liked rough and tumble games with the ball? Maybe its not so much about anger after all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what Lynne says here, "Remember, you offer love for this being and friendship for this individual first and foremost". I think with my horse Comet, who I know has some deep hurts and anger I have forgotten that this is where I should start. Just loving and respecting him now, for who he is now, and to allow him time and space and support to grow and heal. I hope as I see flickers of his true personality I will be able to offer suggestions to him that will appeal to him, and open him up to being free and happy. I will also take a closer look at Max's and Passaro's respective journeys's in Empowered Horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lynne and Lisa. I am so deeply moved by the difference in Max in the photos on page 159. One important thing to note, though, is that this change occurred over a 2 year period.

    Does anyone feel their is a need to further understand the dynamics of trauma in horses? Would this be helpful in anyway or just a distraction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it depends. It may be good to know about a trauma, but I am convinced your horse can show you the way to help him even if you don’t. The most important thing is to observe and try to understand what your horse is telling you. Because even biting is communication. My horse bit me, when he had an urgent message. It was his way of shouting at me. When I started to pay close attention to what he was trying to say, he did not need to bite me anymore. Afterwards I felt so stupid, how could I have missed all his messages before? Luckily I did not smack him when he bit me, that would have turned bad things to worse. I just tried harder to understand him, and he noticed that. My clumsy efforts alone made him change his biting from grabbing my skin to grabbing my sweater. Nowadays we understand each other well, and it is hard for me to imagine this was a horse that bit me all the time. And yes, it took almost 1,5 year before the biting stopped permanently but that’s because I needed that time to learn how to read my horse.

    Miek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Miek. I will try opening myself up to the possibility that Rudy is trying to communicate something to me through his biting. Horses are such patient teachers, but I guess sometimes they need to turn up the volume if we're not listening.

    ReplyDelete